The SDSS Blog
Date posted: May 1, 2018
Scottish Government Consultation: PVG/Disclosure of Criminal Information
The disclosure system Scotland in changing which could have a range of implications for PA employers. In light of the upcoming consultation with some uncertainties- such as the mandatory nature of the PVG structure and whether this will also apply to family members, we will be holding two consultation events around the PVG scheme with representatives from Disclosure Scotland to give members an opportunity to have their voice heard and highlight any concerns that arise for PA employers.
These events will begin with networking and lunch and attendees are encouraged to suggest any topics that they would like to be covered. The dates and venues are as follows:
- Thursday 21st June from 11am – 2pm Edinburgh, Napier Room, Norton Park. (Albion Road, Edinburgh EH7 5RS).
- Thursday 28th June from 11am– 2pm Glasgow, Kelvin Room, GCiL. (117 – 127, Brook Street, Bridgeton, Glasgow G40 3AP).
Reasonable and evidenced travel expenses will be covered for SDSS Members attending this event.
Please email Mark if you would be interested in attending either of these events, we will release a full briefing ahead of these dates.
This Scottish Government have stated that this consultation seeks views on proposals for the reform to the disclosure regime in Scotland. The aim is for respondents to focus on what changes are required to make disclosure of criminal convictions fit for the 21st century. Some changes that may be identified might be better pursued through non-legislative means. Others may require to be looked at in terms of wider Scottish Government policy.
Their pre consultation engagement brought out the complex nature of the present disclosure system. It also brought out the high degree of value and trust that people invest in Disclosure Scotland and all of its products, but particularly the PVG Scheme. The disclosure system is complex and one of the aims is to make sure that this is simplified as much as possible to make it truly customer-focused to deliver a better system suitable for the next 10 years and beyond.
The proposals relate to the following:
- Disclosure Scotland products
- Application for the removal of conviction information
- The length of time spent convictions will be disclosed
- Barring and listing functions
- Fee structure
- The duration of PVG scheme membership
- Mandatory nature of the PVG Scheme
- The disclosure of convictions of under 18s
- Changes to Other Relevant Information
- The scope of regulated work
To read more and to take part in the consultation please visit the consultation website.
The consultation closes on 18 July 2018.