Carer’s Allowance Supplement
The Social Justice and Social Security Committee are asking for written views on the Carer’s Allowance Supplement Bill.
The Bill provides for an increase in the amount of the carer’s allowance supplement for the period from 1 October 2021 to 31 March 2022. Anyone who qualifies for this supplement will get the increased amount.
The Social Security (Scotland) Act 2018 set the initial amount that carers would receive for this period. The Bill will increase this amount by £231.40. It will also give the Scottish Government the ability to increase the amount of a carer’s allowance supplement going forward.
The Committee would like to know:
- What are your views on the increased payment of the Carer’s Allowance Supplement?
- Do you agree with increasing the December payment of Carer’s Allowance Supplement?
- Do you have any views on the Bill’s Financial Memorandum?
- Do you consider the increased payment the best way to support unpaid carers with the challenges faced as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic?
- What level of parliamentary scrutiny do you think there should be for any future increases to the amount of Carer’s Allowance Supplement?
- Do you have any other views on the Bill?