Guidelines for event facilitators.
Thank you for your interest in speaking at an SDSS event or facilitating a workshop. Please read the information below regarding what is required from SDSS event facilitators.
- At Self Directed Support Scotland we follow the Social model of disability, and work closely with members to promote the principles of Independent Living and first and foremost value the voice of lived experience. Speakers and facilitators should share these values, and language used in presentations/workshops should reflect this. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to get in touch with SDSS.
- We ask for speakers/workshop hosts to consider content warnings before discussing potentially distressing topics e.g sexual abuse.
- We ask for speakers to anonymise any case studies where full permission to share identifying details has not been sought.
Content for the event programme.
- When you sign up to participate in an SDSS event you will be issued with a deadline for material for our event programme (e.g speaker photos and blurbs) in order to prevent any print delays. Please adhere to this as failure to provide material ahead of the deadline may result in your presentation/workshop being removed from the programme.
Content for presentations and workshops.
- Please bare in mind accessibility when putting together content for any SDSS events e.g avoid using small fonts on low contrast backgrounds. Materials such as Powerpoint presentations are subject to an access audit as below:
- The deadline for content to be passed on to the SDSS contact will be 2 weeks before the event date, which will be specified when you are a confirmed speaker/workshop host. We set this deadline so that materials can undergo an access audit, and to allow the time for us to produce alternative formats for delegates who may have particular requirements e.g braille. If content is not passed on by the specified date your presentation/workshop may be removed from the programme. Please note reminders will be issued on the lead up to the deadline.
- You will be asked to provide a single point of contact for your organisation on the lead up to the event.
- We understand that plans can change at the last minute. When you sign up to participate in an SDSS event we may ask you to identify a second person from your organisation who would be able to participate if you were to become unavailable at short notice.